Leonard Culp was the 3rd great-grandfather of Florence Mosier. He was the first son of Ludwig and Eve Culp and was born around 1742, probably in Germantown, Philadephia, PA. He married Elisabeth Bower (Bauer) on December 21, 1773 at St. Michael’s Lutheran Church in Germantown. Elisabeth was the daughter of Andrew Bauer and Catherine Fischer.
After their marriage, Leonard and Elisabeth moved to Whitemarsh Twp., Montgomery Co., PA, where Leonard became a landowner and farmer. They had nine children: Andrew (b. 1774), Leonard (b. 1775, d. 1862), Catherine (b. 1777), Jacob (b. 1779, d. 1831), John (b. 1784, d. 1785), John (b. 1786), George (n. 1788, d. 1854), Daniel (b. abt 1790), and Samuel (b. 1795, d. 1881). All of their children were baptized at St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Barren Hill.
Leonard’s surname is spelled variously at different times in several records. Whitemarsh Twp. tax records between 1781 and 1810 show the name as Colp, Kulp, and Culp. Baptism records of his children at St. Peter’s Lutheran Church in Barren Hill, PA consistently show spelling as Culp except that the addendum entry (p. 110) showing the birth and baptism of Johannes (John) in 1786 is written in German and shows Leonard’s name as Lehnhart Kolb. His burial entry in the records of St. Michael’s Lutheran Church, Germantown, PA, shows the name as Kulp.
Leonard Culp is shown as a tax paying citizen of Whitemarsh Twp. on the tax rolls for the period 1785 to 1802. The 1785 tax roll shows that Leonard owned 55 acres and a dwelling, 2 horses, 3 cows and 1 still. By 1796, his land holdings had increased to 85 acres, and he was no longer taxed for owning a still; he paid an occupation tax. In 1810, Leonard paid taxes on 97 acres with improvements, 2 horses, 4 cows, and 1 dog; he also paid a tax on his occupation (farmer). The total taxable value of Leonard’s holdings in 1810 was $2,132.
Leonard Culp died on October 5, 1824 in Barren Hill and was buried two days later at St. Michael’s Lutheran Church in Germantown. Elisabeth died on December 16, 1831 in Barren Hill and was buried on December 19 at St. Michael’s.